Jun 29, 2009

Havasupi

The first weekend in June I was able to take a trip to Arizona to the Havasupi Indian reservation. What an amazing place! There's a ten mile hike into the village through the Grand Canyon that's absolutely amazing with all of the red rock and high cliffs. Once we got into the village (about 2 1/2 hours of hiking), it was a real shock because it took me back to my first area I served at while in Brazil on my mission. It looked so similar and even smelled the same! Kinda trippy, but definitely cool.

From the village, it's another 2 miles or so to the campground. Just before dropping into the campground, you see this! (See the pic upper left) AWESOME! The water is so blue! There are lime deposits in the water that give it such a cool color and it continues the entire way down the canyon like that. Being the beginning of June, it wasn't nearly as hot as I thought it would be. That made for cooler swimming, but was excellent for hiking. The campground was a little crowded, but we found a good secluded spot in the shade. And the natural spring was perfect for quenching thirst and refilling water packs. We saw about 4 different sets of falls in all. My favorite had to be Mooney Falls (on right). It was such a trip to see so much water and greenery in a dessert setting like that. Absolutely breathtaking for sure. And the descent down to the base of Mooney Falls is gnarly! Definitely worth the hike in! And special props to Jeff for taking such amazing pictures. Thanks, bro!

Every time I'm able to get out in the outdoors and see a new place is such a great experience. Just blows my mind to see all of the beautiful creations made at God's hand for us to enjoy. Getting out this trip was also bittersweet. I missed Amber and Jeremy so much! It was the longest I've ever been away from them at one time. I remember sitting on that rock and thinking that even though I was in such an amazing location, I really missed them. Kinda puts it all into perspective. I'm so blessed to have Amber and Jeremy in my life. I don't know what I'd do without them! Only thing left to say from the trip is that the hike out isn't too bad... until you reach the last climb up to the canyon rim! Jeff and I definitely felt like Frodo and Sam climbing Mount Doom. It was intense. So be sure to save a last boost of energy and a chocolate chip Clif bar for the final ascent! And sing some Neil Diamond and Bonny Tyler. It helps, trust me.

2 comments:

  1. We were like Frodo and Sam in that we were conquering an amazing mountain. But unlike them because we weren't gay.

    ReplyDelete