Mar 18, 2011

Mule Canyon: The Jump


In the last post I mentioned having an idea when I saw a large waterhole below The Fortress. Water had eroded the sandstone and created a nice waterfall with a deep pool below. The water wasn't flowing at the time but the pool was still there and the water was definitely deep. I showed Jake and we both looked at each other with the same idea. This spot would be prime for a swim! The cliff above the pool was probably 10 feet high, not a big jump but we wondered where the bottom of the pool was. I used my knife and made a spear from a willow tree close by. I threw my spear into the water but I botched it and it didn't go in, only skipped off the surface. We decided that it would be deep enough and as long as we went feet first we'd be fine. I was the only one with shorts so Jake and I played a game of rock, paper, scissors to see who would go first. Naturally, Jake won as he always does. We built a small fire just in case hypothermia set it. The water was extremely cold, barely above freezing. Where there was more shade, water was still frozen. Some people might think we are idiots for wanting to jump into freezing cold water in the beginning of March. But the sun was out and we were ready to experience life!

1 comment:

  1. That will forever go down as one of our greatest moments... What a rush! Here's to living... CHEERS!

    ReplyDelete